Detroit Trolly Line
Early on, a host of streetcar companies carried Detroiters about their daily business. This period was followed by consolidation into one company, the Detroit United Railway. A large system (187 miles) was built by the Detroit United Railway in the 1900s through the 1920s. The system began to be sold to the Detroit Department of Street Railways in 1922.
The Department of Street Railways, made Detroit the first city in the United States to establish municipally owned transit system. It was a leader and innovator in the transit industry, with continued streetcar service until April 8, 1956, when the last streetcars on Woodward Avenue were replaced by buses.
The City of Detroit entered into a bidding competition with Kansas City to sell its electric-powered streetcars to Mexico City in 1955. The City sold 183 cars for a total of $699,000.
The original bar on the first floor became a comfort station for the trolley line. The line ran eastward down Jefferson Avenue towards the Pointes, north up Alter to Charlevoix. The turnaround at our corner sent the streetcars back downtown via Charlevoix. Extra trolleys for the line were parked behind the Tap Room.